The Coordination and Maintenance (C&M) Committee meeting was held on Sept. 12 and 13. The meeting began with the procedure proposals, which were followed by the diagnosis proposals. The procedure proposals were completed by midday on the first day.
Public comments for code proposals requested for implementation in April 2024 are due by Oct. 13, 2023. Comments for code proposals requested for October 2024 implementation are due by Nov. 15, 2023. The procedure comments can be sent to ICDProcedureCodeRequest@cms.hhs.gov. The diagnosis comments can be emailed to nchsicd10CM@cdc.gov. Final decisions are not made during the C&M meetings on diagnosis or procedure codes. Your comments are encouraged.
The procedure agenda included seven items, such as Section X Updates and Addenda and Key Updates. The slides and proposal information are available on the C&M materials website.
The following procedure items were presented at the meeting, in addition to Section X Updates and Addenda and Key Updates:
- Irreversible Electroporation for Cardiac Ablation, for which the applicant is requesting an April 2024 implementation date and plans to apply for New Technology Add-On Payment (NTAP) status for 2025.
- Computer-Aided Anesthesia and Oxygen Delivery System, with the applicant planning to apply for NTAP status for 2025.
- Insertion of Palladium-103 Radioactive Implant, which has a April 2024 implementation date requested.
- Introduction of Bone Void Filler, for which the applicant is planning to apply for NTAP status for 2025.
- Electrical Biocapacitance for Assessment of Pressure Injuries, for which the applicant is applying for NTAP status in 2025 and requests an April 2024 implementation date.
These two therapeutic agents listed below were not presented at the meeting. The applicants have requested an April 1, 2024 implementation date. Both applicants plan to submit for NTAP status for 2025:
- Administration of Iodine (131I)-apamistamab, which treats acute myeloid leukemia (AML); and
- Administration of Talquetamab, which treats relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma.
The diagnosis portion of the C&M meeting began with sad news, as Donna Pickett, RHIA had passed away in late August 2023. Ms. Pickett led the diagnosis portion of the C&M meeting for many years and her presence will be missed.
The agenda for the diagnosis codes contained 28 proposals, plus the addenda. Some of these proposals include:
- Adverse Effects of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor (ICI) Immunotherapy
- Anal Fistula
- Baked Egg/Milk Intolerance
- Abnormal Antibody Without a Diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Bicuspid Aortic Valve
- DLG4-Related Synaptopathy
- Duffy Phenotype
- Encounter for Prophylactic Removal of Fallopian Tube(s) for Persons with No Known Genetic/Familial Risk Factors
- Estrogen and Other Hormones and Factors Receptor Status
- Family History of Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
- Flank Anatomical Specificity
- Gulf War Illness
- Hypoglycemia Level
- Nasal Valve Collapse
- Lymphoma in Remission
- Multifidus Muscle Dysfunction
- Cement and Fat Pulmonary Emboli
- Pediatric Body Mass Index
- Personal History of Colonic Polyps
- Post-Exertional Malaise
- Serotonin Syndrome
- Usher Syndrome
- Early-stage Type 1 Diabetes
- Coding of Firearm Injuries Default
- Cholestatic Pruritis
- Injection Drug Use
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has posted the recording and related materials for the procedure portion as of Sept. 17. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will also publish the recording and related materials for the diagnosis portion. They were not yet posted at the writing of this article.
ICD-10-CM and PCS codes scheduled for April 1, 2024 implementation will be published in November 2023. The early notification permits vendors, software engineers, and revenue cycle staff to prepare for the implementation. The final code addenda will be published in February 2024.
The deadline for submitting new code applications for the March 2024 Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting is Dec. 1, 2023.
The next meeting will be held March 19 and 20, 2024.
Diagnosis code portion of the recording and related materials– https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm_maintenance.htm
Procedure code portion of the recording and related materials– 2023-09-12-ICD10-Meeting-Materials | CMS